Does your cat shun the water bowl each time he walks previous it? Making certain your cat is well-hydrated can show to be fairly a problem. However you recognize your feline good friend must drink as much as keep wholesome.
“Enough hydration is crucial to the vascular circulation of blood,” says Dr. Jamie Whittenburg, proprietor of Kingsgate Animal Hospital in Lubbock, Texas. “Blood circulation permits for the transport of necessary substances, oxygen and carbon dioxide by way of the physique.”
Water additionally performs a key position in ushering out physique waste, in regulating physique temperature and to behave as each a shock absorber and lubricant for the joints. Dehydration can set off seizures and injury kidneys. Backside line: With out water, a feline physique can’t perform.
Now comes the tough half. How will you tempt your cat to step up his water consumption?
10 simple hydration tips
Catster reached out to a couple stellar feline specialists who share these tantalizing techniques:
- Elevate water bowls. “Some cats want their bowls elevated in order that they don’t put pressure on their entrance legs as they lean over the bowl,” says Dr. Elizabeth Colleran, previous president of the American Affiliation of Feline Practitioners, who operates the cats-only Chico Hospital for Cats in Chico, California. “Older cats who’re more likely to have osteoarthritis aren’t in a position to simply put plenty of weight on their forelimbs.”
- Dish up canned meals early on. “I encourage my shoppers to supply canned diets to their kittens early on in order that they acknowledge it as a meals,” says Dr. Kathryn Primm, proprietor of the Applebrook Animal Hospital in Ooltewah, Tennessee, and host of the 9 Lives with Dr. Kat podcast on Pet Life Radio. “Due to the excessive water content material, it’s a good suggestion to have a cat who will eat many varieties of canned meals.” Canned meals usually incorporates between 70 to 80% water.
- Carry on the broth. “Many cats actually like the flavour of hen broth,” Dr. Colleran says. Bone broth, whether or not you make it or purchase it, is another choice. Simply be certain that the broth doesn’t include onions or seasonings.
- Pour water in large bowls. “Cats depend on their whiskers as sensory organs to alert them to what’s round them,” says Kate Benjamin. Founding father of Hauspanther and co-
creator of the New York Occasions best-seller, Catification. “Cats don’t like the texture of their whiskers scrunched when attempting to drink water from a slim bowl. I be certain that my cats have large water bowls so there are not any whisker points.”
- Take note of the water bowl’s location. Cats are fussy and don’t like having their water bowl positioned proper subsequent to their meals bowl. “Cats are hunters and, as a result of they eat what they kill, they fight to not eat the place water sources are for worry of contamination,” Dr. Colleran says.
- Disguise the water in one thing yummy. Famend animal coach Samantha Martin makes certain her Wonderful Acro-Cats are well-hydrated to allow them to carry out their circus-cat like strikes onstage. “We boil hen breast in water for treats,” says Samantha, who is predicated in Atlanta. “We give them this hen water for added hydration and vitamin. They adore it!”
- Clear the water bowls. Think about ceramic, chrome steel, glass or stoneware bowls, which clear simply and utterly and don’t retain odors. At all times examine any bowls for scratches or nicks, and substitute if needed.
- Choose ingesting fountains along with your cat — and your degree of dedication — in thoughts. “Probably the most extremely developed senses in cats is auditory,” Dr. Colleran says. “Should you can hear the pet ingesting fountain, the sound is like screaming to cats and can trigger some to keep away from the fountain. Additionally, choose fountains that may be simply cleaned in a dishwasher to keep away from mould and mildew. Go for a fountain with washable filters. In any other case, it’s worthwhile to carry on a schedule to often substitute the filters to maintain the water clear.”
- Introduce a novel liquid. “Some cats actually like bottled clam juice,” Dr. Colleran says. “And if you open that may of water-based tuna, squeeze out the tuna water and put it in a container that you could add purified water in, maintain refrigerated and provide it to your cat.”
- Up the attraction of a catio. Kate says to position a recent bowl of water in your enclosed catio day by day. “It may well entice the cat to drink whereas he safely will get to look, hearken to and scent the outside.”
Precisely how a lot water?
Veterinarians suggest that cats want to absorb about 4 ounces of water per 5 kilos of physique weight day by day to remain hydrated. So, the typical 10-pound cat ought to drink about 1 cup of water per day.
Cats who eat moist meals (which may include as much as 80% water) may drink much less, whereas cats who eat solely dry meals will often get extra of their day by day water requirement by ingesting.
We requested pet lovers on Fb to determine how they get their felines to drink water. Right here’s what they dished out:
“Now we have water dishes in nearly each room of our home, and I add a tiny little bit of hen broth to a number of of them for my two seniors, Uncle Satchel and Auntie Scarlette.” — Wendy Lindstrom
“I give my cats Maggie, Victoria and Turkey moist meals and add additional water to their meals.” — Polly Smith
“Latte gained’t drink out of an everyday bowl with nonetheless water. I assumed a fountain was gimmicky till we received one. I completely see the distinction in how a lot water Latte and Ellie now drink.” — Katherine Kern
“I’ve a tall glass in a mug (for stability) on my nightstand in order that my 14-year-old Haddie doesn’t need to go far for water at evening. It began as a glass for me, nevertheless it was shortly co-opted.” — Tamar Arslanian
“Moist meals, a number of water bowls and including water to their meals works for us. Bootsie is 9 and has had urinary points. Foster cat Hallow is 2 and has had constipation points.” — Allison Hunter-Frederick
“I’ve three various kinds of water fountains, every with completely different ranges of motion. They’re all on completely different flooring of my home for my 5 cats: Mr. Meowgi, Vespertine, Tango, Tux and Morrisy.” — Danielle Jo Bays